April is Earth Month!
12 Ways to Love the Earth:
Five Ways Countries are Helping the Environment:
- As some of the biggest contributors to the 8 million tons of plastic in the ocean, China, Indonesia, Thailand, and the Philippines have pledged to the united nations to keep plastic out of the oceans.
- The cloud forest school in Monteverde in Costa Rica is teaching environmental sustainability from ages Pre-K to high school. Costa Rica hopes to become completely carbon neutral by the end of 2021.
- Fatima Jibrell is protecting acacia trees in Somalia by providing solar cookers instead of charcoal burners. She has employed 120,000 people in her efforts.
- Environmentalist Afroz Shah lead the “world’s largest beach clean-up”in Mumbai India over a span of 2 years with help of local volunteers. Together they collected 5.3 million kilograms of trash, cleaned over 50 public toilets, and planted 50 coconut trees.
- Brazil and Argentina created a public bike sharing program to encourage less transportation emissions.
Five Inventions to Save the Earth:
- Air ink captures air pollution and condenses it into usable drawing ink.
- Completely edible and completely biodegradable packaging and products.
- Sea bin captures sea pollution.
- Ecobricks are a building material made from plastic stuffed plastic water bottles. They are incredibly sturdy and near indestructible.
- Seed balls are made of charcoal dust and seeds which allow seeds to stay alive until they have the right conditions to grow. They are rained down by helicopters.
To learn about climate activist Greta Thunberg:
To hear how she challenges world leaders to action in her “How Dare You?” speech: